Anthony D'Amico formerly dwelt in a converted funeral home in a quaint small town, but now resides in a nondescript mid-sized city that provides significantly better access to Thai and Mexican food (which delights him). He largely lives vicariously though books, music, and (especially) film.
He has irrational and unhealthy obsessions with Vincent Gallo, '60s ska, and power pop. His obsessions with Lars von Trier, Ulrich Seidl, Cometbus, and early Red House Painters, however, are totally normal, sane, and healthy.
He also has misguided delusions of being a brilliant artist/musician, but the world continues to persist in its inexplicable indifference and fame remains cruelly elusive.
He does not particularly want unsolicited submissions these days, aside from those sent by labels that he is already in contact with. This policy saddens him, as he is sure that he will miss out on hearing a great deal of compelling new music. Unfortunately, the amount of music being released these days is absolutely overwhelming and it is simply not feasible to devote so much time and energy to things that randomly appear in his mailbox anymore. Exceptions, of course, will be made for artists and labels that he already has a documented appreciation for.
Here's where to contact him for all other purposes:
email: misplaced_sandwich at hotmail.com
Things That Made 2012 Enjoyable (in absolutely no order whatsoever)
- C. Spencer Yeh, "Transitions" (De Stijl).
- Finally seeing Andrzej Zulawski's Possession.
- Edward Ka-Spel, "Ghost Logik" (Rustblade).
- Seeing Jason Lescalleet live.
- Pauline Oliveros' 80th birthday concert at EMPAC.
- Swans, "The Seer" (Young God).
- Raime, "Quarter Turns Over a Living Line" (Blackest Ever Black).
- Biosphere & Lustmord's "Trinity" at Unsound NY.
- Finally seeing Ken Russell's batshit crazy Devils.
- Joshua Oppenheimer's The Act of Killing at TIFF.
- The return of Peep Show.
- Damian Valles, "Nonparallel (In Four Movements)" (Experimedia)
- Finally seeing Martin Bell's Streetwise.
- Diane Cluck's Song-of-the-Week.
- James Blackshaw, "Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death" (Important).
- Twinsistermoon, "Bogyrealm Vessels" (Handmade Birds).
- Machinefabriek, "Secret Photographs" (Important).
- Richard Skelton, "Verse of Birds" and "Limnology" (Corbel Stone Press).
- Myrninerest, "'Jhonn,' Uttered Babylon" (The Spheres).
- Carter Tutti Void, "Transverse" (Mute).
- Windy & Carl, "We Will Always Be" (Kranky)
- Julian Cope's Copendium.
List of 2011 Favorite Things In No Particular Order
- Natural Snow Buildings, "Waves of the Random Sea" (Blackest Rainbow)
- Isengrind, "Night of Raining Fire" (Blackest Rainbow)
- Eli Keszler, "Cold Pin" (Pan)
- Dirty Beaches, "Badlands" (Zoo)
- Andrew Chalk, "Violin By Night" (Faraway Press)
- Eliane Radigue, "Tranamorem-Transmortem" (Important)
- New books by Haruki Murakami and David Foster Wallace
- Current 93, "Honeysuckle Aeons" (Coptic Cat)
- Peaking Lights, "936" (Not Not Fun)
- The Forgetters double 7" (Too Small To Fail)
- Archers of Loaf reissues
- Tim Hecker, "Ravedeath, 1972" (Kranky)
- "Lady Friend" by Christina Carter (off Texas Blues Working)
- "Confetti" by Cold Cave (off Cherish the Light Years)
- Ebo Taylor, "Life Stories" (Strut)
- Xela, "The Sublime" (Dekorder)
- Charlambides, "Exile" (Kranky)
- Ensemble Economique, "Crossing The Pass, By Torchlight" (Dekorder)
- Black Eagle Child, "Pages On A Plane" (Under The Spire)
- Maritime, "Human Hearts" (Dangerbird)
- Corrupted, "Garten der Unbewesstheit" (Nostalgia Blackrain)
- We Need To Talk About Kevin
- Shut Up Little Man
Mercifully Brief List of 2010 Favorite Things In No Particular Order
- Twinsistermoon, "...Then Fell the Ashes" (Blackest Rainbow)
- Jefre Cantu-Ledesma, "Love is a Stream" (Type)
- Isengrind, "Modlitewnik" (Blackest Rainbow)
- Cyclobe, "Wounded Galaxies Tap at the Window" (Phantomcode)
- Shadowplayers: The Rise and Fall of Factory Records by James Nice
- Haunted Air by Ossian Brown
- Emeralds, "Does it Look Like I'm Here?" (Editions Mego)
- As Loud as Possible
- "The Sound of Siam: Leftfield Luk Thung, Jazz and Molam in Thailand 1964-1975" (Soundway)
- "The World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia in 1970's Nigeria" (Soundway)
- JG Thirlwell, "Manorexia: The Mesopelagic Waters"
- Everything Current 93 released
- Danny Paul Grody, "Fountains" (Root Strata)
- Gaspar Noé's Enter the Void (despite its massive flaws)
- Big River Man
- Balam Acab, "See Birds" (Tri-Angle)
Favorite Albums of 2009 (no order)
- Black to Comm - Alphabet 1968 (Type)
- Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts (No Fun)
- Social Junk - Born Into It (Digitalis)
- Our Love Will Destroy The World- Stillborn Plague Angels (Dekorder)
- various Richard Skelton/A Broken Consort reissues and releases
- Africa Boogaloo: The Latinization of West Africa (Honest Jon's)
- Current 93 - Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain (Coptic Cat)
- Cold Cave - Love Comes Close (Heartworm/Matador)
- Several Soundway compilations (Tumbélé, Ghana Special, Panama!, etc.)
- Siamese Soul: Thai Pop Spectacular 1960s-1980s Vol. 2 (Sublime Frequencies)
- Jim O'Rourke - I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, and a 1,2,3,4 (Editions Mego)
- Harappian Night Recordings - The Glorious Gongs of Hainuwele (Bo' Weevil)
- Benjamin Finger - Woods of Broccoli (How Is Annie)
- Area C - Charmed Birds Against Sorcery (Students of Decay)
- The World is Shaking: Cubanismo from the Congo, 1954-1955 (Honest Jon's)
- The Kath Bloom half of Loving Takes This Course: A Tribute to the Songs of Kath Bloom (Chapter)
- Gog - Mist From the Random More (Utech)
- various Nurse With Wound releases
- Darwinsbitch - Ore (Digitalis)
Favorite/Most Intriguing Albums of 2008:
- Merzbow/Richard Pinhas - Keio Line
- Nurse With Wound - Huffin' Rag Blues
- Current 93 - Birth Canal Blues
- Fennesz - Black Sea
- Sun Kil Moon - April
- Victrola Favorites- Artifacts From Bygone Days (Dust-to-Digital)
- Sprigs of Time: 78's From The EMI Archive (Honest Jon's)
- The Vodoun Effect and African Scream Contest (Analog Africa)
- The reissue of 23 Skidoo's Seven Songs
- Nigeria Special: Modern High-Life, Afro-Sounds and Nigerian Blues (Soundway)
- James Blackshaw - Litany Of Echoes
- Johann Johannson - Fordlandia